Monday, September 29, 2014

NX700QC16G Review

 NOTE: As of December 4, 2014 - There is a Update Firmware available that will increase application memory.

The NX700QC16G Android Table has impressive specifications which is the reason I bought it.

The tablet comes with a powerful ac/dc usb adapter for the wall and a thick usb cable. There is also a manual and a instruction card. Getting it running was pretty easy.

The casing is coated with a black rubbery coating which is not prone to finger prints. All the corners are rounded. The screen will pick up prints. All the connectors are at one end and all the buttons are on one side. The one speaker is in the rear and sounds weak. The camera is in the front with the screen and has vga (640x480) resolution which is barely passable.

The screen resolution is 1024x600 is not very high but was made clear from the walmart and nextbookusa website. I find it very usable with good colors and clear text. Viewing angle from the side fades quickly.

This is a pretty fast device for its price. A quad core processor with 1 Gb of RAM and 16GB of internal flash memory. With bluetooth 4 and GPS this device had all the stuff I was looking for. I found that the bluetooth and the wifi to operate very well. The signals seem to be very strong.

The one flaw with this device which is not clear from the walmart or nextbookusa website is the configuration of the internal flash memory. Advertised as 16Gb and clearly it is 16Gb. However there is only about 1Gb available for Applications which is clearly a little tight. There are things you can do to work around this which I explained in a previous post on Memory. But advertising 16Gb and leaving less than 1Gb for Applications is clearly annoying. Just going to the Google Play Store and the updating the installed apps will fill around 80% of the available Application Memory. Which can be a big stumbling block if you do not know how to deal with it and a lot of people will not.

I wrote a email to the manufacturer asking if they could possibly address the issue with some sort of upgrade. I never mentioned rooting in the email but the response was all about rooting voiding the warranty. If I was going to void the warranty why would I tell them?

As far as I can tell there is no clear way to root this device since the operating system, linux kernal and the device itself are all very new. For now I am ok with this. Down the road when a method of root is found and the warranty is expired I will root the device.

I recommend this tablet as it is fast and has recent tech and software. However do not buy this tablet for its high resolution screen, camera or built in speakers. For now I am satisfied with my purchase.

Peter

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be able to root any device running KitKat using Towelroot. In fact, there is a website how to root the Nextbook NX785QC8G with either Towelroot or Root Genius. It worked great for my LG Access LTE for which there is no other option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can root the NX700QC with an app for the PC called Kingo Root.

    ReplyDelete